Best Video Games Books For Gamers
On this page of Games and Geeks, we're looking at the best video game books and books based on video games. These are perfect for all gamers and we're sure you'll find something new and exciting on this page. If you're a game we have a great selection of books based on your favourite hobby. You'll find art books that show off amazing video game covers, concept illustrations, in-game visuals, design, and video game tournamentt results. You can also read about the history of your favourite titles as well as discovering more about the publishers and developers. There are books about consoles, characters, and more. If you're looking for a reading gift for a gamer in your life then be sure to check out our list of best video game books below.
7 Best Video Game Books
- Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made: In this best video game book, readers will discover exactly how video games are made. The hours of work that goes into them, the triumphs and mistakes, and more. You'll find out how the developers behind Diablo III fixed Error 37. You'll get behind the scenes details about successes like Pillars of Eternity and Shovel Knight. There are plenty of engrossing tales within the pages of this book.
- Game On!: Video Game History From Pong and Pac-Man to Mario, Minecraft, and more: This book from Dustin Hansen takes a look at the early year of video gaming right through to today. All the important parts of video gaming are included along with tales of how some of the biggest hits came about. If you ever wanted to know about Pong, Pac-Man, or Mario came to be, this book has it all.
- Art of Atari (Limited Deluxe Edition): Atari came into being in 1972 with titles such as Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, and more. This art book looks at all the Atari games including art, advertisements, concept artwork, and more. You get the entire Atari backstory and the deluxe edition of this book comes with a special slipcase, an Atari Vault Steam Key so you can play hundreds of classic games on your PC, and a limited edition art print.
- Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the NES Library (1985-1995): From 1985 all the way through to 1995, the NES had some of the most memorable games and this massive book covers all the official and unofficial game releases of the NES. With nearly 800 games this guide is a gamers dream.
- Game Boy World 1989 XL Color Edition: A History of Nintendo Game Boy: This is the ultimate fan collector's edition. This book covers the Game Boy system and the games that were released in 1989 as well as information and pages that provide information on the people behind this handheld system.
- Undisputed Street Fighter Deluxe Edition: A 30th Anniversary Retrospective: Capcom's Street Fighter celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2017 and this book pays tribute to all the iconic characters, combo move, and more. Diehard fans need to add this book to their collection and it's packed full of interviews and more.
- Guinness World Record Gamer's Edition 2018: This is the 11th edition of this bestselling gaming annual. It has a personal introduction from DanTDM, owner of the most viewed Minecraft channel on YouTube. It's packed with the latest records and stars making their mark on the gaming industry.
Best Video Games Based on Books
Video games take gamers off to far off lands and let them play inside the worlds the creators have imagined. Many of our favourite video games actually began life as books and we have some of our favourite book video games below.
- Assassin's Creed is heavily based on the 1930s novel Alamut
- Parasite Eve is a sequel to the novel Parasite Eve
- Suikoden is based on a classic piece of Chinese literature
- Metro 2033 was originally published online as an interactive story
- Enslaved: Odyssey To The West is a science fiction twist on the book Journey to the West
- The Witcher is based on a Polish series of dark fantasy novels and short stories
- Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms are based on a Chinese classic story
- The Tower of Dream is based on Babylonian mythology
- Spec Ops: The Line is based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness only set in the Middle East
- Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl took many of its concepts from the Sci-fi novella Roadside Picnic
- Bedlam the game is taken from the world of the Bedlam book.
More Best Selling Video Games That Began as Books
The list of books based on video games and video game merchandise could go on forever, but here are seven more video games that began life as a novel or story.
- Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Betrayal at Krondor
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 Gold
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Whether you're looking for video games based on books, books based on video games or books on video game design, there's something for every gaming fan in our lists.